Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Julep Maven Feb 2014 - Modern Beauty Review

 
I have been skipping Julep boxes for awhile, but this month caught my eye with its beauty products. I still remember how disappointed I was with the whole DD creme fiasco but this looked more promising so I went for it!
 
First off, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the brush. It's handle is weighted so feels great to use, and the brush itself is VERY thin, but also soft and stiff enough to easily draw a line with.

 
The box alsp came with one free nailpolish that everyone got as a gift in their box this months. I love glitters but ooh they so hard to remove so not sure when I will get to trying this one.

 
First up, the gel liner. I love gel liners for their flexibility of use, I can just change up my brush and get easily thin lines, bold lines, tightlines, waterlines, wings, you name it! It's also pro-kit friendly since it can be spatula-'ed (lol is this a word) out so as to not contaminate, which I find easier than having to sanitize my pencils/liquids afterwards.
 
Gel liners aren't without their problems though, and mostly for me, as a oily-lid gal, is the smudging that I'm so prone to. I usually just settle for "less" smudging as some can be horrendous, even the waterproof ones! (waterproof doesn't hold up against the oil my lids, even with primer/powder and all).  So I really was hoping just for "less" smudgyness and I'd have been happy, except I got blown away that I had NO smudging at the end of the day! I can't believe it, Julep has made my HG gel liner...  if you have oily lids have this problem as I do I highly recommend you get this.
 
One down side is that this product is super tiny, the pot being one of those tiny sample jars size, much smaller than other gel liners out there in Sephora world. Luckily I don't use much day to day since my "everyday" liner is simply tightlining, so I'll be ok, but if you use a lot more daily or for the pros out there who will be going through a lot this may not be $-friendly It's ($22, $17.60 for Mavens for a very tiny jar)
 
Also, if you are wanting a gel liner to smudge and create a smoky eye with, this is NOT what you're looking for. Because it's so smudgeproof, it sets very quickly and can flake if you try to smudge it, so I recommend it just be used to make a sharp line, and that you not try to blend it or smudge it out.  For the best liner to blend and smoke out, I prefer MUFE Aqua Black.

 
 
Next is the liquid eyeshadow. I chose the lightest shade as I planned to try and use as a highlight or alone on the lids just to perk my eyes up a bit. I tried it without a primer and it did not crease after 8 hrs, and only very little bit at end of the day. Unfortunately as with the liner, because it dries down quite fast and is so pigmented that I find it hard to blend out at the edges. Luckily this color is so light so it's not such a big deal, but I imagine with the darker shades the difficulty in the blending may be more obvious.  If you have a darker shade let me know what your experience has been!  I imagine though, for blending, you could put a similar colored powder shadow over the edge, so you could still make it work.
 
That's it for my review! Hope it was helpful and let me know what you thought of your Julep box this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment