Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, May 23, 2014

Face Atelier Cake Eye Liner and Transforming Gel Review


I've forever on the look out for the perfect eyeliner since my lids smudge easily, and recently I came upon these cake liners by Face Atelier. 


These might look like eyeshadows but are formulated quite differently.  For example, FA eyeshadows have these base ingredients: MICA, ISOEICOSANE, POLYISOBUTENE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA

Cake liner however, has these base ingredients: TALC, IRON OXIDES, PEG-SM, LAURETH-4, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, CALCIUM SILICATE, ISOPROPYL PALMITATE, LANOLIN OIL, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPULPARABEN

They're certainly not meant to be used as eyeshadow (and will not blend properly like an eyeshadow), but rather are made to be activated by a liquid (usually an "activator" the same company makes; some will say water can be used but I recommend sticking with the official "activator" due to ingredients that will help with stability of the product on the skin). 


Face Atelier makes this "activator" called Transforming Gel. It makes these cake liners into an opaque liquid which can then be applied with the brush of your choice (I prefer push liners but any eye liner brush will do). This particular product can also be used to make any glitter/shimmer powders into a paste that can be applied as eyeshadow, or one can use it to transform an eyeshadow into a liquid brow product. 

Transforming gel ingredients: WATER, GLYCERIN, GLYCERYL POLYACRYLATE, CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER) FRUIT EXTRACT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM HYALURONATE, AESCULUS HIPPOCAST-ANUM (HORSE CHESTNUT) EXTRACT, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, PANTHENOL, TETRASODIUM EDTA, IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAM
(*see, not just water right...)

So how does the transforming gel + cake liner combo actually perform...

The paste comes out looking like something between a liquid and gel liner. It lasts all day without fading. Unfortunately I do get a bit of smudging on my lower lid after a few hours if I tightline, but it's only a small amount. I'm ok with this as I've tried many much worse liners that smudge horribly (=> panda eyes). So this small amount I can deal with (just gotta remember to check the mirror after a few hours into my day).

The best thing about the cake liner though, is I will never have to concern myself with expiry dates/bacteria growth like with liquid liners, nor with the product drying out like with gel liners. It dries back down to the hard pan product after use and bacteria does not grow on these hard surfaces.

Overall, it has not hit HG status but is one of the better eyeliners I've used. It is certainly kit worthy (personal or work) for ease of use, sanitation, and long-lasting-ness!  (it's Friday, the day to make up new words...)

Have you tried any cake liners before? Which are your favorite? Share with me in the comments I'd love to try them out.


*Disclosure: none, I have no affiliation with this company and I bought these products myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment